Thursday, March 20, 2014

Thrifted Chalkboard Makeover

I've seen all these super neat chalk boards lately and decided I needed one too.  Sooo, I was at the Goodwill store recently and found this beauty.  Does anyone remember this lovely picture from Home Interiors???




And for only 1.99 (yea!), it was the perfect frame for my project.  :)





After removing the picture, I painted over the entire picture with chalk board paint using several coats.

I want to hang this in the kitchen so I decided to paint the frame red -  Because that's the color I'm wanting to accent the kitchen with when I start it's makeover later this spring.  Plan a kitchen makeover around a homemade/goodwill/$1.99/red chalkboard - makes sense, right?  Well, it does to me...  :)
As everyone knows, it's been a brutal winter and it was about 15 degrees outside when I decided to do this project (and that's withOUT the windchill), so spray painting outside was not an option.  



Now, this is not AT ALL recommended (do as I say, not as I do) but, I decided to spray paint this in my basement - because I thought spray painting would be "quicker and easier".



I probably haven't told you this yet, but I'm the queen of impatience.  And impatience usually kicks me in the butt, and this time was no different.  The paint would not dry and it started to crackle, but not in the "crackle good" kind of way.  I don't have any closeup pictures of this "mess", but trust me - it was not pretty!  I'm sure this happened because it was too cold in the basement as well.  Anyway, out came the sand paper. So much for quick!  After sanding the areas that were crackled and getting a smooth surface to work with again, I got out the Annie Sloan chalk paint in Emperor's Silk.









                                     

I should have done this in the first place, as chalk paint adheres to anything and always seems to work out better in the long run.  It certainly looked MUCH better.  I used dark wax to finish it off and I think it finally turned out Luvly! All for less than $5.00 when you include the cost of the paints and the amounts used.  What do you think?






No comments:

Post a Comment